Written by: Samhati Bhattacharjya
World Photography Day is celebrated every year on Aug 19 to showcase the works of amateur as well as professional photographers in equal measure. It is an extremely special day for all the shutter bugs around the world as they get a chance to observe a day for their art.
The whole concept of celebrating photography originated after the French government presented daguerreotype process “Free to the World”, invented by Joseph Nicèphore Nièpce and Louis Daguerre, as a gift to the world on 19 August, 1839.
In today’s generation, photography is considered to be one of the most fascinating forms of art. It helps a person to relive a moment from his past. This art form is not restricted to only professional cameras, people tend to shoot in their mobile cameras as well.
The world has witnessed some of the greatest photographers of all times who have captured usual things in the most unusual manner. They recreated life through their camera. However, these famous personalities have inspired several aspiring photographers, not only with their lenses, but also with their thoughts and words. Let’s take a look at the top 10 quotes by some of the renowned photographers that describe the true essence of photography.
- “The camera makes you forget you’re there. It’s not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.”- Annie Leibovitz
- “A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.”- Diane Arbus
- “A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.”- Dorothea Lange
- “Photographs open doors into the past, but they also allow a look into the future.”- Sally Mann
- “Photography is the power of observation, and not the application of technology”- Prerna Sharma
- “What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” – Karl Lagerfeld
- “Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper… the photographer begins with the finished product.”- Edward Steichen
- “Don’t pack up your camera until you’ve left the location.”- Joe McNally
- “The eye should learn to listen before it looks.”- Robert Frank
- “In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality.”- Alfred Stieglitz